Tuesday, August 12, 2008

To the Dentist...groan!

You would think that a former dental assistant would at least care enough about her teeth to not mind the twice a year trip to the dentist to maintain them.

Nope!

I hate it!
With a passion.

There is nothing fun about going somewhere to be tortured, told what you are doing wrong and have it highly suggested that you should sell off your children in favor of extreme dental work...crowns...

I do not enjoy it!

I remember those patients in our office long ago who were devastated by the cost of the root canals, that was all our office did. They would be finding out the balance on their credit cards to see if there was enough there to pay for the procedure. Then I would sit by their side for the next hour and a half and gently care for them as they endured having their mouth open, my suction device, the rubber dam and the dentist's hands all in their mouth. Poor, poor patients. It was all the same day after day so I did not think as much about it at the time...however...years have passed. I am the patient who has to shell out the money and put up with the achy jaw after long procedures. Not fun!

Yesterday there was a reminder call that Mikey was scheduled for his cleaning.
Oops! I told he and Jonathan they could do a last minute sleepover before school starts again ...these are horribly misnamed...no sleep! I informed him that I would be picking him up at 9:30 AM to take him to the D-e-n-t-i-s-t.

This did not go over well.

He said something about biting off the dentists fingers, one at a time.

I don't think he would really do this...but the assistant in me felt great fear at the very thought!

I made another phone call and offered myself instead.
You know, like a sacrificial lamb.
I did not want to do it.
I hate going to the dentist.
But, I love my son more.

A few weeks ago, I had gotten a reminder call about my appointment. Somehow I got myself out of that one.

Now I will go. In Mikey's place.

Poor Me.

Lucky Him.


Becky K.

3 comments:

Ronda said...

Becky,
Oh how we sacrific our selves for our children. Just try not to bite the fingers that go into your mouth, hehe.
Have A Peachy Keen Day
Love & Prayers,
Ronda

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Oh gosh Becky I dislike going too!! Its just so uncomfortable and somewhat painful!! I hope it went okay for you!! You are a crack up with offering your kids as sacrifice....you are right dental work is sooooo expensive its outrageous!! You are a great mom for letting your son have fun with friends and you taking his place!! :)

Mrs. Darling said...

Oh How i hate goign to the dentist too. My daughter and I just went for cleanings last Friday. I even hate cleanings!