Saturday, December 22, 2007

Chelsea's 2007 Tree

Photobucket

Until last year I would never let the children have anything to do with setting up the Christmas Tree. It was all mine...a couple of years I gave them their own tree tucked away in the Family Room. I am ashamed of this. It demonstrated my need for complete control and took pleasure for Christmas away from the kids.

Last year we were going through so much with Warren's dad's illness that I let Chelsea decorate the tree. She was so pleased to do that to serve us and to be creative. She did a great job.

This year I encouraged her to do the whole thing. It is fake so she was able to build it and then decorate it entirely herself. I am tempted to change things...add a ribbon topper... and hide light cords... but you know what...I am leaving it alone. It is great. My Chelsea did it her way and this is great practice for when she has a home of her own to care for and decorate. I know that, Lord willing, there will be many years ahead when I will be decorating my own tree, alone, and wishing that my little girl was here to enjoy it with me. Then she will be off with her own family, putting into practice the things she is learning now.






Hope you are all ready to be able to settle in with family and friends and truly celebrate the birth of our Saviour.

Blessings,
Becky K.

3 comments:

daisy said...

Boy, I know what you mean about letting go. It is so difficult. That is one of the toughest things I have had to learn. I think what really did it for me is one incident where my daughter was learning to play a tune on the harmonica, and when she was done with it, I played a little bit of the song the way I thought it should sound, and then what she said just killed me. She says, "Yup. Way to show me up, Mom." And she just put it down and walked away. Now I know part of that was that little guilt thing she does so well, but really. Ouch.

Good for you for letting her do it. That is the way our kids learn to do things. It's when we LET them try it on their own after we've taught them what to do, and we don't go behind them fixing everything. I've realized, too, I am such a control freak!

And the tree is BEAUTIFUL. She did a great job.

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Becky-what a beautiful job she did!!! I love the willow tree ornament, just so sweet. I am glad that you have learned to let go and allow her to do it! God is teaching you!! Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Great job Chelsea!

I usually do it all on my own too, and this year I was LOOKING for help!

We are getting settled in for the holiday - first though we are going to DE tomorrow - we are wanting to get a recumbant exercise bike!

Merry Christmas, dear Friend!