Friday, December 19, 2008

Matters of the Heart


It has come to my attention lately that my
children are deep in mourning over the
loss of their Grandfathers.

It is easy to think that they have moved
on, don't care, aren't bothered by it...

but then suddenly in the car the other day
Mikey began talking about his Grandfathers
and how much he misses them.

Last night Jonathan relayed his longing
for Grandpa, as something had triggered
a memory.

I think this year is our most emotional one
yet, as there is no current health crisis,
or recent loss. Each year since 2005
there has been some horrible "thing" going
on over the Holiday period and we have been
distracted. This year we are all struggling
in our own ways.

I am so glad that the boys have finally opened
up about their pain. It makes some of their
behaviors and attitudes easier to understand.

At our Wednesday evening dinner at Georgia's
this week the subject turned to grief. It was
so good to talk about where we are now. This is
not something that just "times out".

It changes, shifts, and works its way deeper
into your heart and soul.


Our family is not unlike so many out there that are
processing thoughts of loneliness, sadness and sometimes
anger at this time of the year.

But we are talking about it.

I do hope that if you are struggling today,
you will find someone to talk with.
Share your feelings.
Ask someone to pray with and for you as you
sometimes walk in the valley.

Then get up, dust yourself off, and find someone
that you can minister to.

That is the antidote.

Prayer and giving.

My heart goes out to all who are processing
loss this Christmas Season, whether that loss
is "fresh" or "freshly come to mind".

Love you!
You are in my prayers.

♥♥Becky K.♥♥

7 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Thanks for sharing!

So glad you are talking about it -

Anonymous said...

I understand Becky. Tommorow is the date my dad died. Eight years ago now.

Karen said...

Beautiful post-wise and so true.

Charm and Grace said...

Bless your heart... I know that is really tough and somehow the holidays do make missing those special ones so much more deeply felt. Even after almost 30 years, I still miss my grandfather more deeply at this time of year than any other. It's good your boys have a wise mother who can help them through the grieving. May God bless you all as you cling to Him and to one another.

Christi

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

This time of the year can be really hard for most of us. Missing loved ones and bringing back those memories. I know my hubby still truly misses his papa. His papa was the most dear person to him, taught him so much and at times tears just flood his eyes. Its hard to ever "get over" the loss of a loved one, but I am so glad that we have the hope of seeing them one day again!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

You have been tagged on my blog! Its a fun one!

Kelly said...

Becky, Thanks for sharing this. We, too, struggle with loss of some loved ones this time of year, two, who are actually still living but just aren't a part of our lives anymore -- a former foster child, and a foreign exchange student. I, also, lost my grandmother thirteen years ago. It seems impossible that it could be that long ago. I was incredibly close to her, and I still miss her deeply, especially at this time of the year.