Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hospitals Aren't What they Used to Be!

We left the house at 6:30 am yesterday
which was about fifteen minutes later
than we had intended.

We arrived at the hospital pretty close
to the time we were expected at 7 am.

Warren got all settled in and before we
knew it he was off to his liver biopsy.

I was told it would be about an hour and
a half. So...I stopped by the help desk,
picked up my pager then quick as I could
headed off to the James Street Cafe.
It is right in the hospital and it is
gorgeous. As Warren has had several tests
lately I have grown to look forward to this
as my personal waiting room.

A breakfast sandwich, a good book and
a few deep breaths got me through the
waiting time. It might have helped that
I was snuggled up in a large and comfy
leather chair. Who knew? In a hospital!!

Suddenly the beeper beckoned me back to
the room where my very sleepy husband had
returned. He did very well with the procedure.
We don't know any results yet. It was a long
wait as he had first to lay on his right side
for two hours and then on his back for two
more hours.

The wait was made more interesting by the
fact that Jon, a friend from church, was having
neck surgery yesterday. He was in a room
not too far away so Pastor Mike kept going
back and forth. We also got to spend time
with Sue, Jon's wife, after he went in for
his surgery. While all of this was very
serious, we did get a chuckle out of the
fact that both of our church's elders were
in the hands of our hospital at the same time.
Glad it is a good hospital and all went well.

I do hope you won't think too badly of me that
when we find out that we have to visit that
hospital I immediately think of my own special
waiting space and think its not too bad...
guess it is my coping mechanism.


Photobucket

13 comments:

Melissa G said...

I'm glad to hear everything went smoothly. And i think the Lord gives us special grace and things to help us through stressful times. Look at that leather chair as a gift from Him. =)

Carol said...

So glad to hear that everything went well yesterday. I know you're anxious to get the results back from the test. I'm praying that you'll be hearing good news!

Blessings,
Carol

detweilermom said...

I am glad that everything went smoothly. The only experiance that we have had was in the emergency room and that wasn't so good. My stay at Women's and Babies a few years ago was wonderful though. Will keep you and your family in my prayers as you wait for the results.

Joyce said...

I will keep you all in my prayers for good test results.
Joyce

SmilingSally said...

You have found an excellent waiting place, and I applaud you! I pray the test results are negative.

Terri Steffes said...

If anyone can find a place of refuge in a hospital, I say take it!

Praying for good test results.

Vickie said...

You found a place of comfort, peace, and quiet where you can relax and think & pray. Don't feel bad about that. Tons better than a waiting room with upset crowded people

Prayers lifting up for your hubby as you wait.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Glad to hear both procedures went well yesterday. I did think about the fact that both elders were going to be in the hospital at the same time!

When Tim had his hip replaced I hung out just outside the cafe there in that pretty sitting area no one ever uses! Fired up my laptop and kept busy reading blogs! I understand!

We missed you last night!

Judy said...

I hope Warren has recovered from his procedure. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

On a side note, The Fractured Prune on the corner of Walnut and Queen has freshly made donuts that are to die for!!! If you ever need another cozy spot in which to wait, this might be another good option!

LV said...

So thankful thing have turned out well for your husband. I trust that hospital does what it is suppose to do and he gets out of there. Take care yourself and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Kelly said...

I am glad that everything went well for Warren. It's nice that you can find a nice, comfortable place to wait. That is an improvement in most hospitals as compared to years ago. It helps to keep one from worrying or stressing as much.

Lisa Pogue said...

If you have to spend any time in a hospital or doctor's office waiting at all, you have to make yourself comfy some how, some way. So kudos to you for making it YOUR space. I think it's harder to wait than it is to be the patient. Take care and keep us posted!!

sherry said...

I don't see it as odd at all, Becky. I consider that big leather chair, etc as a sort of cozy chapel.

How wonderful that your pastor sees well to the church members. I'm lifting your hubby up in prayer. <><

jAne at tickleberry farm