Sunday, September 4, 2011

Looks Can Be Deceiving

There it lay
in the bottom of a bin.
Moved several times with us and 
never actually unpacked.

A jewelry box.
On the lid of the box the contents
were spelled out very clearly.

It was a three carrot ring.
How exciting!
Warren's Grandfather had been a 
jeweler so this must have been one of his
pieces.  Passed down through the family.

And then we opened the box.


It was exactly what the box declared it to be.
But not what the expectations led one to 
believe.......
Now, truth be told the kids
knew the story of 
this ring.

According to Jonathan
Grandpa Gene gave this ring
to Grandma Georgia
because he couldn't afford the real
three carrot deal.
I don't know if this happened
before or after they were married.
I'm taking it as before...
but I do know that at some point
Georgia ended up with a diamond.
How many carrots
I'm not sure.

But, this ring is sweet!

We returned it to Georgia 
last evening.
She got quite the chuckle out of 
seeing it again.

This week we will venture up to 
the mountains to the cabin that holds
so many memories.
We are excited that some blog friends 
from Michigan will meet us there.
We will play games and laugh,
probably get ice cream.

And we will treasure memories
from the past that include 
our Dads.
They enjoyed the times in the 
mountains.

One who loved to golf and sing....
and one who would give 
his bride-to-be a 
Three Carrot Ring.

I'm not sure when I'll get 
to post again.....
Internet is spotty up there.
But, know that I'll be thinking of you
and missing the visits to your special
places here on the "net".

9 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Have a grand time!

Theresa said...

Oh how fun! I have one that my Daddy gave me, it is a carat and a half:) I will post a picture sometime again!

Enjoy your trip! I know that you will have a wonderful time with family and friends! HUGS, stay safe!

Tracy said...

How fun. I love the ring!! Have a great time in the mountains

Unknown said...

Hi, sweetie ~ Have a fabulous time!Be safe traveling. I have a 2 ct. diamond too, from a precious friend.

Have a beautiful holiday ~
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Barb said...

Becky, this is so cute!

Have a wonderful time. Blessings, Barb

Gayla said...

H0w cute! Special little gifts of the heart!

The Tablescaper said...

Too cute!

- The Tablescaper

Simple Home said...

What a cute story. I hope you enjoy your time at the cabin :)
Blessings,
Marcia

Constitution Girl said...

I love it!! That is so hilarious!