Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Blog Story



The story I am about to share is very
humbling. One that I wouldn't share but
I think it is a very good reminder.

To be honest I was feeling pretty good
about things here at the blog. I have
made so many remarkable friends.
This week I made a couple of purchases
from blogs I love. This was a first.
One item arrived and exceeded my
expectations.
I'll be sharing it soon.

It has been a desire of mine to
surprise someone with a candle (or
candles) on a regular basis until the
weather gets hot and I can't ship them.

This week it was Vee, who has been in
pain with her back and just generally not
feeling too perky. I was in the zone of
happiness that giving gives
when I received an email.

It was from a blog friend that I
accidentally hurt.

My last two comments to her had been
written in a hurry. I had not expressed
myself well. She was hurt because the meaning
she took was not at all what I intended.

I'll tell you friends,
my heart sunk!

However, I am so very grateful that this friend
took the time and risk to send an email
asking about these comments.
I respect her so much for not just
"clicking" me out of her life.
That would have been so easy.

This beautiful lady and I are fine and
all is understood now, but I will be
more cautious in the future. I will
think through my comments more carefully.

Know this.

If I leave you a comment that seems negative
I did not intend it that way. I believe
that it is better to say something positive
or say nothing at all. At the same time,
if you see that I have been to your blog
and have not left a comment...please do not
assume that I don't like what I have seen or
read. Most likely I am just too much on the
run to leave a comment that day.

Blog relationships are tricky.
We know just enough about each other
to be dangerous.
That is what we used to say about new
co-workers in the financial field.
Oyyy! When possible here go for
experience....I am sure I will hear
about this!

But, what I mean is that we don't know
each others joke style or what triggers
memories or pain for each other.

I promise to be more careful in the future.

Thank You for every comment that you leave.
For me, blogging is worth the work and the
time invested getting to know each other.
There is so much encouragement, inspiration
and joy to be found in this community.

I appreciate each of you.
Those who comment and those who don't.
You are a huge part of my day.

By the way...all of the bunny photos you
have seen this week, including the one above,
were taken last year at Longwood Garden's Gift
Shop....

On another note: I will resume the living
room series when something else changes.
We are in the crush of ending the school year,
Jonathan's Birthday, Graduation and more.
Time and money to invest in this project are
scarce. However, I am not giving up on it.
There is more to be done. I'll share it on
Thursdays as I do it!
Photobucket

15 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi Becky!

That was so nice of you to send a candle to Vee! I'm sure it brightened her day.

You said that you and Mrs. Rabe will be decorating Easter Breakfast - you could do the little pots that I have those bunny on a stick in. Those are just inexpensive peat pots decopauged. You could put some moss or shredded paper in yours and top them with Easter candies or eggs (or something like that).

Manuela

Brittany Ann said...

I have thought about this myself, especially when I reading quickly through blogs and typing responses. I wish I proofread with more sensitivity more often. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, as this blog community of women is so important to me.

Thanks for the reminder! We can all use this one!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That is a great idea Manuela!

Also I thought some little birds and easy to make nests would be sweet!

stefanie said...

I know what you mean, and with reading words you can't hear our tones so maybe people do read them wrong...your such a sweetie, I am glad everything is good.

Tracy said...

I'm so glad that you and your blog friend are okay. It's very difficult to discern someone's tone, etc. in writing, and I think that's a big part of it. Kudos to you for talking about this.

I. too, often read and don't leave comments, but it isn't for lack of approval of the person, but more a lack of time on my part.

JD/ Jill said...

Well, I guess I am guilty from time to time of visiting your blog and NOT leaving a comment...but I so enjoy looking at your blog and don't always have time to comment...
I'm also afraid of saying the wrong thing...One gift I don't have is "the gift of words" It's so difficult to put my feelings into words...It's one of the reasons I thought I would never be able to have a blog in the first place...
I guess it's all a learning process...As the saying goes, we learn something new everyday. And blogging has really done that for me. I have learned so much from fellow bloggers, and Have had so much support...more than I could have ever expected.
So sorry that this happened to you Becky, I have had the pleasure of meeting you not only through your blog...but because of it, in person, and your definitely are as sweet in person as you are on your blog.
I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you, and thank you for the word of caution because I don't always take enough time to proof read what I have written...I don't want anyone to take anything I have said wrong...God Bless, Jill

Sharon said...

Thanks for opening up your heart and sharing what I'm sure many of us feel. I'm so glad that you were able to work through the misunderstanding...Life is full of "learning moments" and they aren't always easy - but they're almost always teach us something if we're willing to learn. Thanks for reminding and "teaching" us! :)
(PS - what a Sweetie you are for wanting to bless other's with your candles!)

Karen said...

That is a tough situation-glad you got it resolved.

Tone is so hard to convey in the written word. Your post is a good reminder, too, that we should give each other the benefit of the doubt when reading comments left for us.

I fall into the "visit but often don't leave comments" camp. I love all the blogs I read regularly but commenting does take a lot of time so I skip it a lot. Not sure why, since I love the comments others leave for me.

Have a great day! You always brighten mine!

LV said...

We all have to understand there are so many that are very sensitive. I have learned to try and accept whatever anyone leaves as a comment. So far they all have been very nice and appreciated. I am not that way. You will have a hard time hurting my feelings or making me mad. It is hard to believe you would say anything out of line. Thank goodness you both took the right approach and worked it out.

Annesphamily said...

Hi Becky K.! Vickie at Sand Flat Far, sent me over. I like the look of your blog and your post about the comment was good. Sometimes I know we get caught up in way too many things. I like to ask before I get judgmental on people. I am glad you shared with your blogging buddy and she sent you the e mail. Isn't life grand? Come stop by and say hi sometime. I like it here and am following you now.

myletterstoemily said...

i think we all have made unintended
comments by mistake.

i am sometimes silly and should be
more careful.

i have really enjoyed your blog.

BittersweetPunkin said...

You have never been anything but sweet in your comments and I would know better for being overly sensitive about a comment...but that's just me. You really are a wonderful bloggy friend. :)

Hugs,
Robin

Tracy said...

How glad I am that you & your friend we able to patch things up, Becky! Comments & email isn't always the best way to communicate, as so much can be left to individual interpretation--a turn of phrase can rub a person the wrong way completely unintentionally. And in general words have weight--whether spoken or written--so we ought to tread carefully with them. I personally have had three experiences with blogger who I thought were becoming my friend really pull the rug from under me and turn nasty. It was hurtful, awful. So much so I had to go over to comment moderation. Each time I did contemplate stopping blogging. But I can't let those very few isolated incidents get me carried away from all the good and sincere friendship that does come from blogging. Blogland is a great place and I'm glad to be part of it. Thanks so much for sharing your story and experience, Becky! :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Dear One, I came over from our mutual friend Vee's blog comments... After seeing your comment there, about you doing a 'Comment post.'

Ahhhh yes, blogging can be a joy. And also, can be a minefield. :-)

Courage!

:-)

Gentle hugs,
'Aunt Amelia'

Elena said...

Thank you so much for sharing this dear friend! I am so glad to have met you on line, you are very special:) Love, Elena