Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving is a Beautiful Thing

My dear daughter, Chelsea, has posted five things that she is thankful for at Its About Friends. She is so excited about Thanksgiving this year and as a part of natural conversation reminded me of a new family tradition started by my sister-in-law, Bev.
Bev has each person at the table say something that they are thankful for and then each one lights a tealight on a plateful of tealights. Pretty soon you have a growing glow symbolizing the combination of everyone's appreciation and it makes an impact. It is beautiful. Being thankful is contagious...it spreads light to the atmosphere around us.
Just as reading Chelsea's list of five things she is thankful for blessed my heart I hope that in some small way my attitude of appreciation for all that I have been blessed with lights my corner of the world.

Here, Chelsea, I'll make my list of five:

1. That God, in His infinite mercy, has provided a way of salvation through Jesus, His Son and that the Holy Spirit moved in my heart to bring me to understand and accept this wonderful gift!

2. The gift of a loving husband who has been my very best friend through these 18 years of marriage. He is that person who knows what I am thinking from across the room. The sight of him still makes my heart flutter.

3. Three children - so different one from another - but so special, each one. Jonathan, the artist and "thinker". Mikey, the athlete and motivated worker. Chelsea, the little homemaker and helper. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to really know and enjoy their company.

4. A home that meets our needs. I was thinking, as I saw footage of the cyclone damage this week how many people in this world do not have even basic shelter. I am blessed beyond any comprehension.

5. The friendships of many! Friends are the key to my every day survival. I need my friends and I hope that I return the favor of the support and unselfish giving that I have been blessed to experience.

As everyone has seemed to note during this Thanksgiving season, the list could go on and on...we have 365 days in a year and we don't have to stop expressing our Thankfulness just because this day of recognition of Thankfulness passes by.
Lord, please help me to remain Thankful!

Wishing you a fantastic Thanksgiving.

If this season is not a joyful one for you this year because of a loss or other reason beyond your control, please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. It can be so hard to "smile" through these Holidays when you are hurting inside. My prayer for you is that you will be able to heal and see hope for better days ahead. I pray the Joy of the Lord into your life. If you feel like sharing, I am here to listen...

Gratefully,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, my mother is one that has a hard time because my dad died 5 days before Christmas. So if you could keep her on your prayer list this season.

Becky K. said...

Absolutely!
Thank you Paula for letting me know. Holidays can be so hard. Yet we are supposed to be, and want to be, so joyful. It makes the pain all the more pronounced in those who are hurting.
You must think about your Dad too?
I am trying to get through November this year without a family tragedy. Two years in a row there has been something terrible during this month.
Becky

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Love you and your family Becky! Happy Thanksgiving!

Justabeachkat said...

Hi there Becky K! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. I hope you'll come back again...you're always welcome.

It looks like we enjoy some of the same blogs.

I've enjoyed my visit here and will come again.

Hugs!
Kat