Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Girl Giggles

One of the highlights of having a daughter is getting to enjoy her friends. Yesterday after bowling we brought home three extra girls. Very often one comes back with us which raises the energy level in the house some...but this was altogether different!

There were the beautiful sounds of giggles coming first from the living room and then from the downstairs family room as these friends enjoyed each other's company. When dinner was served there was initial reservation and then the melting of my heart as seconds were hesitantly requested. Do you think they know that this scores points? Ha!

There was the gentle pleading to please call the other moms and get our ending time moved back...no could do...so...we have all decided that a sleepover will be a must in the near future. One of these girls is moving to Missouri in January so time together is precious. I, for one, am looking forward to this sleepover. These young women are so fun and polite. Chelsea's eyes were just dancing as she thanked me for having the girls over...and she gave me a huge hug!

Our dinner menu:

Not planning on three extra mouths when I put our meat into the crockpot in the morning I added slightly to adjust by making a pot of macaroni and cheese in the microwave. It is so good and easy made this way. And to think of how I used to slave over it and then need so much time for the oven.

We had my infamous Sweet Spare Ribs: I use country style ribs with a mixture of catsup and brown sugar, spiced with cinnamon, poured over the ribs and cooked all day in the crock pot.

Macaroni and cheese: I melt butter (about 4 tablespoons) in the microwave safe bowl that the macaroni ends up in and after being cooked. Last evening I used shell pasta. When it was cooked and drained I added it to the butter, poured in a good amount of milk(probably close to a cup), added an 8 oz package of shredded cheddar cheese and about 6- 8 ounces of a pizza cheese blend. Everything gets stirred well and microwaved until it is bubbly.

A romaine salad with carrots, tomatoes and celery.

A few scalloped potatoes...

and our own fresh frozen corn.

Yummy and seemingly enjoyed by all.

Thanks for coming Emily, Kristen and Courtney. We enjoyed your company!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the Emily my Emily Rabe??

You are a better woman than me to have a sleep over. But then your house is probably bigger than mine!

Was is the fresh white corn from the farms in your area?? I am so jealous!!!

Becky K. said...

Yes, it was your very own Emily. We truly enjoy her and that sense of humor.

The corn was Lancaster County corn and it was scrumptious!


Becky

Terri Steffes said...

Make room, I am coming over. What?? I am too late? Next time, then. Your little girl isn't moving to my neck of Missouri, is she?

kari and kijsa said...

We want to come too!! We love giggles, and always ask for seconds (that is why we always have to drink diet coke, hah LOL!!!)

Truly- that does sound like a wonderful evening for all involved!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Emily had a really good time Becky, thank you for including her!
Your dinner sounds yummy!