We were invited to a picnic at the home of some long time friends.
Since it was very hot and humid we ate inside...our food was
cooked outdoors on a grill, so I will continue to refer to it
as a picnic.
It was great too....hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled zuchinni, bean salad, carrot and raisin salad, cole slaw, tossed salad, chips and salsa, and fabulous shoo fly pie or pumpkin pie....YUM!
The reason for this event was to celebrate the visit of another
couple who were passing through the area after having moved away.
As all of the people who were in attendance currently have, or have had, at least one
spouse who works in technology with Sight and Sound Theatre
something very strange occurred...
As the ladies were chatting about things such as quilting, blogging,
children's education...great stuff, suddenly across the table we
noticed a laptop appear. Shortly thereafter came another laptop.
Finally there were three laptops in a row on the table with men,
mostly in plaid shirts lined up and typing away.
This caused a giggle and some talk about the proximity of that many
"geeks" in a room.
Pretty soon there came the ring of a cell phone.
Tom took the call from his wife, Starla.
Then, as he remained on the phone, and had even put her on
speaker phone for us to say hello, Luke's cell phone rang.
This sent us over the edge into actual giggles.
This is what we learned about computer geeks last evening:
1. They will bring their laptops to dinner.
2. Three out of five will wear plaid shirts that are nearly identical.
3. Four out of five have beards.
4. Their children also become geeks. (i.e. a 9 year old can use excel better than any of us...even to the point of making a spreadsheet schedule for feeding the fish. He also made a Powerpoint presentation with animation...all on his own).
5. They (the geeks) are funny...but they don't mean to be.
It was fun!
If you ever find my blog, Pat, thanks for a great evening!