Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stolen from My Mother!

Since Chelsea has been working at 
Sight and Sound Theater with my mother
I get to hear bits and pieces from
the devotions my Mom shares there.

Wouldn't it be pretty cool to work in 
an environment where 
you actually have 
devotions?

Well, they do and it is a shared duty
among willing employees.
Apparently the other day Mom used
an event that happened right after 
Chelsea was born to make a very 
important point for us in life.

The story goes like this.

While pregnant with Chelsea I was 
put on bed rest at the fourth month due
to very, very high blood pressure.
Therefore I was chomping at the bit
as soon as she was born to get back out
there and shop!
LOL

No, not just shop, just not sit 
on my couch for endless days!!
I was excited to visit the outside world,
other than my illegal Saturday outings to Hoss's.
Yes, we did do that all the while I was on
bed rest.  It was necessary for my sanity.
A quick trip.

Anyway, within days of Chelsea's birth
Mom and I were at the local Sam's Club.
We had completed our shopping and were
leaving when we noticed piles of boxes.
I don't remember who it was that wanted the boxes
but I do know that both of us became engrossed in 
finding just the right ones not realizing that 
the sidewalk sloped right into the road and 
neither of us was holding onto the cart
anymore.

The next thing I heard was a man's voice
yelling...
"Hey Lady!  Your baby is in the middle of the road!"
I turned and there she was....
Chelsea, in her car seat, 
sitting in the cart
in front of a stopped 
pick-up truck.

My adrenaline went through the roof.
I was so angry at myself, at my Mom
and at the world.
But ever so thankful that my Chelsea, 
so long waited for, 
was ok.

Well, Mom made a wonderful analogy
for this sorry tale in her devotional.
She reminded her coworkers not to 
let go of the precious things of life to 
reach for the cardboard things.

Isn't that a pretty cool lesson?

Yep, my Mom is cool like that.
That's were I learned it....
wink!

Have a wonderfully stupendous day.
I'm busy as a beaver in the 
candle kitchen!

22 comments:

LV said...

Trust me you are not alone. We all do things each day and never understand why. I have stopped telling some of the things I do. Afraid they will haul me off.

sherry said...

*** not to let go of the precious things of life to reach for the cardboard things.***

yes.

Vee said...

Oh that must have been scary!

(Just like the day we heard a truck's brakes grinding and looked up to see my 15-month-old niece sitting in the ditch beside the road. Ackkkkk! My sister was paralyzed with fear so I had to put on a burst of speed to run down there and fetch her. The trucker had a few choice words for me that day and I've never forgotten nor have I ever allowed my niece to sit in the ditch again.)

Your mother's analogy was wonderful. I am unlikely to forget it. I'm glad that the Lord had His eye on Chelsea then and all through her life.

Theresa said...

Oh my, I can just see you and your Mom screaming and running to get that Girl out of harm's way! Thankful all was well and your Mom made a HUGE point with that story! Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Vickie said...

What a lesson! is right! Oh I'm so glad that Chelsea was okay! I don't think I can forget that either!

It's great that Chelsea is getting to experience a Christian workplace, too. Your mom is a jewel!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Your Momma has a way with words and with sharing spiritual lessons in a way that stays with you...

Excellent!

Deanna

Elena said...

That was an awesome analogy! Your mom sounds like such a great person:)

Julia Badgley said...

Wow- glad she was safe! That's a good lesson for us all. I've been thinking along a similar line recently, and it's good to hear it again.

Sue Runyon said...

That's a very good lesson indeed!

Zuda Gay Pease said...

We have all had those heart stopping moments in mothering. Love your Mother's lesson...so good!

Mechelle said...

Wow, thankfully she was okay. I know that must have been a frightning time for you. What a true statement your mother made.

myeuropeantouch said...

Becky your Mom is awesome....(smile)♥
Monika

Unknown said...

Great post -- Thank God that He watches over our children in moments like that when we are distracted.

Bee said...

Dear Candle Lady,
I miss your mom! I wonder where my shopping cart is?!? Good to think about.

Barb said...

Gives me goosebumps.

Barb

MYSAVIOR said...

Becky - this is part of the estrangement from my Jodi. My priorities were so messed up at the time. Thank You for this post.

♥♥♥
Sue

sammysgrammy said...

thanks for shariong this with us

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thank God for amazin' mothers and His mighty hand of protection.

This was a wonderful read that truly touched my heart sweetie. Thank you.

God bless and have a wonderful day. :o)

Aloquin said...

Wow, thank God she was ok! That is a great story to put things in perspective... thank you for sharing. I'm going to tell people that one :)

=Aloquin

Lizzi said...

My heart started beating really fast when it got to the sloping sidewalk part. Oh my goodness. That is a cool analogy/great reminder to remember where our treasures are...and you are cool :-)

Unknown said...

Isn't that great your mum could make a devotion out of that scary situation. God has his hand on your littl girl!
I have devotions with the staff every morning where I work at a Christian school. It is so inspiring!

Unknown said...

Oh, I could tell you a tale or two of my experiences, also. Lovely analogy & Mother.

How neat that Chelsea is working at Sight & Sound.

Have a lovely weekend ~
TTFN ~
Marydon