Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Sentiments

A couple of days ago I
showed you Thomas Cranberry
English Muffins.
I found mine at Wal Mart.

What made my day were
the responses from
you about your
favorite seasonal foods.

After receiving Joyce's
comment I knew that these
deserved their own post.

Today is the perfect day for this
because I found these responses to
be so closely connected to memories
and family.

Christmas Eve for us is almost more
anticipated than Christmas Day itself.
We have a service at church and then
come back to my Mother's to open our
stockings. It is like the official
beginning of the festivities.

So...let me share some of the comments
about your seasonal favorites...
Each ladies name is a link to her
blog. Hope you'll visit when you
get the chance!

Jerri:
"My favorite is party mix....I won't even share this....My sister makes it for me every Christmas and its like receiving gold...."

Victorian Baker Boy with Giant Peppermint Stick
Victorian Baker Boy with Giant Peppermint Stick


Diane:
"I love those puffy sort of peppermint sticks- I think they call them "soft" peppermint sticks, but they aren't really soft at all... love 'em. And here's the funny thing about me and peppermint: the rest of the year I can barely stand the flavor, but at Christmas time it seems I can't get enough. Weird huh?"


Chocolate Fudge on Stand
Chocolate Fudge


Vickie:
"FUDGE - Chocolate fudge - no nuts. What else is there? (except maybe to slather some p-nut butter on it...)"

Deanna:
"I look forward to See's Candy at Christmas - my dad always got to order from his work every year at Christmas...I love their California Brittle."

Marcia:
"The last couple of years my favorite holiday food has been peppermint bark candy. It's easy to make and we usually make up lots and share them. I like a traditional ham too."

Spanish Clementines Whole Fruit and Peeled Fruit Segments
Spanish Clementines


Vee - SO good to have her blogging again!
"Clementines without a doubt, but I do love those cranberry English muffins, too. Now you've made me think that I MUST have some TODAY."

And Joyce, who touched my heart when she said:
"My daughter and I like a box of Queen Anne cherries and we each eat a box between Christmas and New Years My Dad use to give us all a box. You can buy them at Walmart and other stores for about $1 a box. They are not the best but when I was a child I thought they were heavenly. Every Christmas Eve my daughter and I eat them more for tradition to remember my Dad then for the cherry taste.

It always makes me cry and also smile when I see those boxes of cherries on display in the stores. It has been 10 years since my Dad has passed on but the memories of a loved one always warms your heart especially at the holidays."


So...you can see that while we all have
different tastes we often associate our
various seasonal foods with emotions and
memories. Maybe it is an ongoing tradition
with family but all of it brings us something
we need.

A Cherry on a Blob of Chocolate Sauce
A Cherry on a Blob of Chocolate Sauce


I will never look at a box of chocolate
covered cherries without thinking of the
sweet relationship that Mom and Dad shared.
He loved to make her Christmas by getting her
a box of those messy, sticky cherries.
It just said, "I love you", somehow.
As a daughter it blessed my heart!

Thanks for sharing your favorites,
dear friends.

Wishing you the best
Christmas Eve - ever!

Celebrating the Birthday
of our Savior, Jesus!

Photobucket

P.S. If you happen by Hospitality Lane
and see me looking anxiously out of the
window...I am watching for UPS and my final
deliveries. Nothing like waiting until
the last minute, right?
Hey, I got some great deals!

Update: Everything I expected today...Came!!
Oh the wrapping party I had. Fun Stuff!!

9 comments:

Carol said...

Wishing you a wonderful Merry Christmas! Enjoy making memories with your sweet family!

Blessings,
Carol

Weeksie50 said...

lol- I know I am horrible but I couldn't resist posting the picture..lol..

I hope your UPS arrives in time..

Merry Christmas Eve!!

sherry said...

Merry Christmas, Becky. :o)

One special memory (which is also current) is my father making Potica (Serbian nut roll) every Christmastime. It's incredible!

jAne * tickleberry farm

Vee said...

That was fun! Hope your good deals show up today. If not, you'll have more Christmas to look forward to. Have a blessed one, my friend!

Joyce said...

I have been thinking about my Dad all day today every time I pass the box of cherries I have to share with my daughter. Merry Christmas to you and I sure hope your UPS man has delivered your gifts.
Joyce

Brittany Ann said...

Merry Christmas! Here's to celebrating the most precious reason for the season as the Body of Christ worldwide!

Hope you enjoy this special time with your family!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Merry Christmas friend!

So glad that you got all your gifts!

Tracy said...

Merry Christmas, Becky!

tea time and roses said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family dear Becky!

Smiles...

Beverly