Sunday, January 10, 2010

Who Wrote the Bible?


When one studies how the Bible
came to be it is astounding to
see how so many authors over so
many hundreds of years could write
something so cohesive.

A book spanning such a period of
time should surely have many
discrepancies and "missed prophesies".

It would, I am sure, if it were just
some book.

However, in 2 Peter 1:19-21 it is
explained:

And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Ahhh....that is so good to remember.
As we read the Prophesies both fulfilled
and yet to be fulfilled we must remember
that it is directed by God Himself,
through the Holy Spirit.

Something to think about...
How do we treat our Bibles?

Do we treat them as if they are the very
Word of God or do we treat them as another
book in our homes and on our shelves.

I admit that I very often take this wonderful
book for granted and do not treasure it as I
should. It is not unusual for American or
European Christians to own multiple copies
of God's Holy Word, while in other countries
it is illegal or financially impossible to
own even one.

In parts of the Holy Land simply reading it
aloud is considered an act of stirring up
a riot. Our Moms discovered this on their
recent trip there. Imagine that! In the very
land where our Savior walked it is illegal to
read the scriptures out loud in certain areas.

Is it just a book?
Or is it something of power
to cause such a distinct reaction....

I believe we need to seriously treasure the
Word of the Lord as it has been given to us.

Proverbs 2 puts it like this:

My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,

and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,

and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,

then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.

For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.


Something to think about on
this Lord's Day....

Photobucket

6 comments:

Vee said...

I once had an agnostic professor who declared that each writer of the Bible copied from the one prior, which was why it was so cohesive. On the other hand, he always wanted to point out the "inconsistencies." Guess he wanted it both ways. Poor man. I prayed for him a lot.

Thank you for this thought-provoking post and that wonderful scripture.

Barb said...

Hi Becky, such a good post....so reflective. This gives me much to think about.

I do hope you are staying as warm as possible. Yikes....it is cold. Brrrrr!

Hugs, Barb ♥

Anonymous said...

Great Post Becky!

Jill said...

I am a Christian, I believe Jesus died for my sins and I believe in life everlasting. And I do believe that the Bible is the living word of God. But I do not believe the Bible could undergo so many translations and "versions" and still remain in its pure form and text. And, this is NOT meant to be a snarky comment and nothing personal against you...because I have read your blog for a very long time.

Simple Home said...

Too often I take my Bible for granted too. His word is living though, and I love how you can read a verse and get something new from it every time you read it.
Blessings,
Marcia

Elena said...

Amen to this post. Thanks for sharing. It is always so encouraging to hear about how the Bible came to be and how wonderful it is!!