This is officially crazy!
Over the past three years
I have typed 1,000 posts!!
Well, this definitely cries
out for a give away.
I'll have to put some
Watch for that later this week!
But for today, I wanted to link
up with Smiling Sally's Blue
Monday with this 72 ounce monster
custom candle order.
This was a challenge because the
container was way too tall for my
standard pre-tabbed wicks.
I hoped and prayed that I still had
some rolled wick. Back in the early
days of our candle making Beverly would
take a roll of wick and carefully prime
each and every bit of it with our soy
wax. That was a big job but she did it
well. I have since cut out that step
by purchasing ready to use wicks.
I was so relieved to find a small spool
of this wick remaining!
The next problem I ran into was that
the container was too wide for my usual
wick holders. Without something to hold
the wicks in place I would end up with
curvy, sloppy wicks...most likely lost
in the candle itself.
Again, I had just what I needed. Alternative
wick holders that I don't enjoy using but
which were much wider than my usual ones.
I placed the wicks and poured the candle.
Each and every one of those wicks popped
off the bottom!
This doesn't happen often, thankfully,
but it is such a pain when it does.
Usually it just means that the hot
glue wasn't really ready when I used it.
It needs to be so very hot to really bond
the wick holder to the glass.
This meant that I had to pour the wax back out
and completely clean the container...
the glue won't stick to the bottom if there
is any residual soy.
I kept praying that I would not break this
lovely but rather fragile piece.
It was huge!
Finally, the wicks were set,
the wax was poured and a lovely
candle was the result.
I knew it was going to be the topic of
a Blue Monday Post.
Such a challenge, it was.