Friday, June 12, 2009

(Too) Close Encounter with the Fox

Warning, this is not your typical
Beautiful Life Post...but it represents
what I love about life. There are many
unexpected moments that totally change
the feel of a day. I love to go with them,
embrace the challenge and get a good
laugh in the process.

Yep, It is a Beautiful Life!

For more ways people are celebrating the
Beauty in their lives head over to visit
Melissa at The Inspired Room. She has a
guest today.


I awoke very quickly this morning when
Warren said the fox was in the hen house.

The hens were panicked and flying back and
forth.

Warren headed out the door and announced that,
in fact, the fox was still on the outside.

I am ashamed to say that at that point I
ran for the camera.

No memory card.

I discovered this after I was already
outside. Warren was yelling and waving
his arms and the fox was obviously quite
impressed because he headed up the hill
for some easier prey.

I looked at my watch and it was 6:00am.
I wondered briefly if I should call my neighbor
Ellen at this hour and warn her.
She has chickens.
I didn't wonder long because her hens and
roosters were soon squawking. I figured she
would be getting awake from all of that noise,
and might as well know right away what the
problem was.

When things got quiet up there again I decided
to stand guard outside our chickens as the
fox would likely come back by to get back to
his home across the street.

Sure enough. He and I were face to face in a
matter of minutes. I yelled at him, and the
wimp turned and went back up the hill. He
stopped, sat, and looked at me.

Truth! I pulled the camera, now with memory
card, and snapped blurry pictures.



The fox and I were not far apart, at this
point but the camera
was set on landscape and he was too close to
zoom on. I didn't realize it was set on this
setting. By the time
I got it figured out he was gone back up the
hill again.

Now, to any neighbors who noticed me running around like
an idiot in my purple flowered matching PJ's, I
sincerely apologize. I must have looked like a
large grape jelly bean. I am now coming to be horrendously
embarrassed. At the time, I was on a mission...
or two.

Save the chickens
and
get a picture.

I am not sure of the order....
lol.

No, obviously it was save the
chickens or you would be seeing
some amazing photography!

Wonder what else is up for
today?

I think Chelsea and
I are going to a Horse Rescue
Fundraiser. Georgia is very
involved with this Rescue and
we are going to visit her there
this afternoon.

Should be interesting.

Have a great day!


♥♥Becky K.♥♥

5 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh no! Just like in the storybooks! That sneaky fox! Well, I'm glad your chickens are OK. Lancaster is a beautiful area. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great day!

Chubby Chieque said...

Dear Beck,
WoW... that's awesome. I never seen fox yet. Pity that the photo is a blurry.

What a wonderful words you have today. That's so nice.

BTW, thanks for dropping by at my place.

Always be happy & have a blessed w/end.

xoxo

judy said...

Sorry I missed all of the excitement at the end of our street! Sounds like it was a crazy couple of minutes! Thanks for sharing the picture! Glad your chickens were safe!

SmilingSally said...

I have a feeling that fox will be back!

Vee said...

Oh this made me laugh and I have been in sore need of a good chuckle or two. Hope that the fox doesn't come back ever!