Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Young Photographer and Siblings

For Outdoor Wednesday as hosted
by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.


Yesterday, Mrs. Rabe and I headed
to Longwood Gardens to begin a fun
project with our Homeschool Co-op.

We have been invited to decorate a
wildlife tree for the Christmas Season.

Honestly, standing in a second story
room, sweating like a pig(far from glamorous!), when it is
90 degrees and humid makes Christmas
seem far, far away.

However, we were very excited to meet
our hostess and new friend, Pandora,
who is in charge of this project.

She showed us samples of ornaments
made for her tree. We are not expected
to duplicate her designs but to come up
with our own of which most will have
an edible component for the many birds
at Longwood Gardens.

After our time inside we left with several
bags of seed pods and other natural items
to begin our work. On the way out it seemed
a good idea to treat the Rabe children to
some time in two treehouses. They were so
patient to wait as we chatted away.

Just outside the first treehouse were these
awesome felled trees and stumps.

I had fun watching the children play here.



Miss Rachel returns from the treehouse
camera in hand.



She spots something in the trees
overhead...raising her camera to
get the perfect shot.




I find a smiling Sarah
willing to pose.



Master Kyle is very intent on keeping
his step on this log.



Looking at these shady photos
you would never know we were
melting!



The sun through the trees.
Love it!



Coming soon...photos taken while we were
without power last evening. Bad, bad storms
blew down trees which took power lines.
We finally got power at 2:20 am.
One good thing...I got to begin
burning my butterfly candle.
It IS pretty!

Photobucket

19 comments:

SmilingSally said...

You must be doing an awesome job homeschooling! This is a super field trip/project.

Sue said...

The classroom is not the only way for young minds to learn. What a nice adventure you took- I'm sure they gleaned much...
:-) Sue

Carol said...

Christmas does seem far away with the hot, steamy August weather!
Blessings,
Carol

jeanne said...

Hi Becky, I got a kick out of you thinking about Christmas trees when you were sweltering in the heat. I bet you come up with some great ideas. I would love to know how you make ornaments out of bird seed etc. It would be fun hanging them out side this winter. I have two perfect little trees that would be very nice if decorated with seeds.

I love the photo in the trees you shared. It does look cool and inviting. I guess not. LOL

Have a great day.

Hugs...Jeanne

Queen B. said...

Awwwwwwwww, I love this !!!!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

What beautiful shots...loved them and congrats on homeschooling...I think it is so important!!!!

Love Bears All Things said...

How exciting your project sounds. I know you'll share the tree with us when it is all decorated. After all, it will be outdoors. Stringing cheerios on string, making a loop comes to mind.
Happy Outdoor Wednesday to you.
Mama Bear

the wild raspberry said...

sounds like a ton of fun...minus the sweltering heat...
i'm ready to get back in the swing of school too!
have a wonderful day~
chasity

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We ended up at my parents after 10:00pm last night. We needed showers and a good nights rest.

We have tons of tree damage here - the wind was whipping the trees in a circular motion - so we headed downstairs for a bit. I am now home and working on a post to show our damage!

Check in later -

Freda Marie said...

Something good can be found in everything, glad you found your beautiful candle!
Freda

Pam said...

This is a neat project! I think my son would enjoy this. Now I will have to plan a trip to the nature center. : )

Judi said...

Hi Becky
I can't even imagine homeschooling...well I don't quite understand it all. You must be very busy and you have a coop that you get together with also...interesting.
I can imagine how it would be in hot weather and thinking about Christmas..*s*... I can't wait to see what you come up with with all the neat things you brought home.

Those logs were very huge...the kids seem to be having lots of fun!
thank you for sharing..
have a great day
Judi

Anonymous said...

We had a little wind here but nothing like what you got. I will be waiting to see the pictures. Speaking of pictures, you did a great job on your photos. I can see Rachel is going to be a chip off the old block when it comes to pictures. How great that she is interested in photography. You are going to have to give us a peek at her photos.

JD/ Jill said...

Lovely photos, it brought back some nice memories of our recent trip to Longwood!

LV said...

I am not sure I could decorate for Christmas here. It is just too hot to even think about it. However, yoouors was for a good cause so guess it was worth it. Nice post.

tea time and roses said...

Hello Dear Becky,

It seems as though your blog gets more beautiful with each visit. I truly do enjoy my time here. The photos are beautiful, and as you stated no one would know you were actually melting.:o) What a lovely field trip.:o)

Smiles...

Beverly

Miller Racing Family said...

Love the beautiful photos. I can't believe the size of those trees.
I agree that the hot weather does not make you want to think about anything Christmas. Although in December I will be wishing I had shopped a little in July and August.
Have a fabulous Wednesday!

JLS Hall (Joysweb) said...

Looks like a fun trip - I'd like to spend some time in those treehouses myself. But I think I'd have a hard time concentrating on Christmas at this time of year. Great photos!

Mary Bergfeld said...

You are able to do so much with your children because of the home schooling. I loved your photographs. Thanks for sharing them with us.