Thursday, August 13, 2009

They are Beautiful!

A Beautiful Life Post hosted by
the lovely Melissa Michaels at
The Inspired Room.
This post was written Thursday
evening...so all references to
"today" should be taken as
having happened
on Thursday.



I was surprised to hear the door
open and close, as I was busily
writing a letter to a Senator who
seems to need a little
bit of advice...
unsolicited of course.
((insert innocent smile))

Nonetheless, there he was.
Our middle son, Mikey.
Done with one more day at his
internship.
We are all in amazement that
next week will complete his much looked
forward to eight weeks at
the famous Longwood Gardens!

It seems only yesterday we had fingers and
toes crossed as we sent out a portfolio and
application for consideration.

Since that day Mikey has dead-headed a
whole bunch of flowers, pruned,
planted, picked veggies, learned about design,
worked in greenhouses, attended several
field trips, passed his driver's
test, taught more than one person
that homeschoolers really are pretty normal.
A little intense,apparently, as the other
students wish he wouldn't be such a high achiever.
Most of them seem to view the internship as a nice
summer job. Mikey is intent on getting into
their two year program after graduation and wants
to learn absolutely everything he can.
He has taken some fun teasing for that.

Anyway, when Mikey came home today he brought
a treat...wait... make that two treats with him.

They learned about flower arranging today and
got to make two arrangements. He carefully
buckled them into his car and brought them home.

Yay!

Take a peek!





This is an Oasis Style arrangement.







And then the more traditional style in
a purple vase.
So many types of plants and flowers.
The fragrance is amazing!






























Would you not totally love to have the
flowers at your disposal that the workers
at Longwood Gardens enjoy?

What a total priviledge it has been to
learn more about this organization over
the summer.
I am more impressed than ever.

Everyone is so friendly, open and willing
to share what they know or are learning.

I do hope if you get to our area that you
will visit these lovely gardens.

It does not matter what season, there
are things to love on those many acres.

Thanks Mikey, for sharing your lovely
flower creations. You make us proud!

To You, dear reader, I appreciate the
opportunity to share our experiences
with you. I might write if no one ever
came, but it wouldn't be half as much
fun, I am sure of that!
And of course, you know I am totally Hooked On Flowers
so I am linking in to Julia's "Hooked On" Party.
I hope you might check out other fun links there.
Photobucket

17 comments:

Karen said...

He did a fantastic job on those arrangements! They are beautiful!

Claudia said...

Simply stunning!!

I so enjoy my stop by your blog. Always so peaceful and creative.

Thanks for the inspirations.

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

SmilingSally said...

Who doesn't love the beauty and smell of fresh flowers? Mikey did an impressive job!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

We are so happy for him! Such nice perks for you!

JD/ Jill said...

Just lovely. Sounds like he had a great summer, wonderful way to spend his time. (and you know I never get tired of Longwood)

judy said...

Stunning flowers! Great job, Mikey! What an awesome opportunity for him and it sounds as though he is taking full advantage of it.... it shows a lot of maturity on his part!

Nancy said...

You must be very proud of Mikey! I'm sure they will accept him into their program. Lucky you - not one but two arrangements to enjoy.

Thanks for visiting Porch Days. I am enjoying taking photographs so much that a camera with more options should give better results. Yes, we always need something to aim for. It has been a trying summer in some ways and I need to keep a dream.

I'm adding Longwood Gardens to my list of places to see!
Nancy

Elena said...

Your son's internship sounded like a lot of fun and hard work. I love flowers too. I was florist for 5 years and still do arrangements for fun and friends. He did an excellent job on his arrangements. He is quite talented!

DesignTies said...

Mikey's flower arrangements are beautiful!! Wow!! I really like them both -- the shape of the first one is interesting. And love all the bright & beautiful colours :-)

The flower that looks like exploding fireworks is really cool!!

Thanks for stopping by our blog :-) As much as hubby drives me crazy at times, he's a pretty good grape -- I think I'll keep him :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Barb said...

Wow, the flowers are so beautiful....oh my goodness!

I can't believe the eight weeks are up. Good for Mikey....I know you are proud of him.

Have a wonderful weekend, Becky.

Barb :-)

Judi said...

Hi Becky
How proud you must be of him! Wonderful and he has achieved so much. So you get the beautiful flowers...nice... :o) They are absolutely beautiful...
All the best to him in his endeavours....have a lovely day..
Judi

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Beautiful flowers, and beautiful photos! Thanks for the visit. :) It's nap time right now, so that's why I get to visit YOU. ;)

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Awww how nice and pretty!! Sounds like he got some good real life experience under his belt!!

Joyce said...

Mikey did a great job! Just so pretty and I wish I could smell them too:)
Joyce

Gayla said...

Oh, that is so sweet, and the flowers are stunning!! Love this post!

JD/ Jill said...

Hi Becky, Just wanted to add another note. The book I won at your give away a few months ago, is still circulating, I read it, gave to my Mother, who gave it to her friend, Ruth, who gave it to Cam, and after reading it gave it to Betty, who then gave it back to my Mother who just passed it on to my Aunt Shirley, and so far they have all enjoyed it....

Debbie Pearson said...

Loved seeing all the beautiful flower arrangements today.