Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Worthwhile Article

Yesterday I read an article
from the June 2009 Reader's Digest
that touched my heart.

I think you would love it too.

It is called Finding Gilbert and it
begins on page 164. This is the
story of an American Soldier
away from home in France,
at Omaha Beach during World War II
and a little boy he befriended there.
A lifetime connection was made
but the story the soldier's family
heard was not complete.

This is the story of the family
connection that just would not
go away over the years leading
to a wonderful reunion.

The story is told by Diane Covington,
daughter of the American Soldier
featured in this heartwarming tale.

Great Memorial Day reading.

Have a special weekend and Monday
with your family.

May we remember those who died in
the service of our country.

May we strive to preserve the freedoms
these men and women sacrificed for.

♥♥Becky K.♥♥

7 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Becky, sounds like a good read. This is the one parade/commemoration in our little town that I insist on attending every year.
♥, Susan

SmilingSally said...

I subscribe to RD; I'll have to read that article. Thanks.

Barb said...

Hi Becky, beautiful post! I hope you and your dear family have a blessed holiday weekend.

Hugs, Barb

Vee said...

I'll be looking for it...my mom subscribes. Have a wonderful weekend, Becky. Hope that you are feeling 100% better!

JD/ Jill said...

Becky, have a great Memorial day weekend, (wouldn't today have been a great day for Longwood?) Thank you for sharing your post today, it always reminds me of when my husband was in the service and overseas, and how lonely it was--it's an extra reminder for me to pray some more for our soldiers...

Vee said...

Now I'm back to say that while unpacking some of my grandmother's books, I discovered the very issue. So I sat right down in her recliner and had myself a nice read. Course that would have been a very sad story without that one special thing...le destin.

Becky K. said...

Vee...Good for YOU! Thanks for reading it.

It made me so sad to think that Lt. Johnson didn't go back over to France in his lifetime. It was really something that his daughter actually did follow up and find Gilbert. This story and the humanity in it really stuck with me...

The beauty of a group of soldiers caring for a waif of a child and how positively their kind acts to him helped them.

Loved it.