Saturday, January 4, 2014

When that Still Small Voice Feels Like a Billy Club

I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a young girl.
I've walked with Him with varying closeness
over these many years.
Sometimes I tend to forget that one has to work
at any relationship and I get into things of 
daily life and remember this friend
best on Sundays.
Other times He is so close that I can't imagine
those desert times.

I can recall from nearly the very beginning
of this journey hearing His still small voice
urging me to do this or that.
Sometimes it was an apology that needed 
to be made.
Other times a testimony He wanted shared
either privately or in a church service.

I've come to recognize and value His nudges,
whispers and even pushes
when I'm too stubborn to respond immediately.

Lately there have been a couple of occasions
to do things that were way, way out of my comfort zone
and yet I had little doubt that God was prompting me 
to do them.

In those moments 
my heart thudded....seriously...
had you been sitting beside me you might have 
even heard it or 
seen the collar of my blouse 
pulsing.

I felt that this most important organ
 might come right out of my chest.
In either of the two most recent cases I'm thinking of 
normally they wouldn't have shaken me up at all.
A.  I'm not afraid of public speaking, as was the 
situation in the first case.
B.  I love sticking my nose in other people's business, 
as was the case in the second situation.
Ha!

However, 
I felt overwhelmingly in both moments that what I had to do and 
say was about WAY more than me or any influence I had.

Praise God for those times that He gives us the billy club
treatment to press us out of the comfort of our 
own desires and strengths.

In each of these cases the outcome was of Him.
It is the only way that it can be explained.

Oh, and lest you think that He only tells me to 
"do things"?
Most often it is a whisper to stay still, 
keep my mouth shut 
and watch Him work.

Sometimes that is more comfy....
sometimes it is NOT.

:-)

3 comments:

Vee said...

Wonderful discussion of the ways you hear The Lord. It is very good that you respond. Very.

Gayla said...

Your kind spirit shows in everything you do!

Sarah said...

I too have had that feeling that my heart is about to leap from my chest. xx