Monday, July 27, 2009

Soup Tureens in Blue...and More!




Friday found Warren, Jonathan, Chelsea and Myself
at Winterthur, pronounced Winter-ture.
The second 'T' is hard.
Be a snob...
it is the proper pronunciation.(smile)

Anyway...we were so excited to see the preview of
the Art Exhibit featured in the photo above.

While we weren't permitted to take photos in
that gallery we were allowed to take them
everywhere else. I will start with some photos
from the Campbell's Soup Tureen Collection.

There are some very unusual tureens represented
here.

But first, the more conventional ones with blue
in their design...just for my friend, Sally, at
The Smiling Sally Blog.



















And now...the unusual!











We highly recommend a visit to this
wonderful museum and grounds. There
is much to see. I will show more as
the week progresses. This was our first
visit but we purchased a membership so
know that it won't be our last.

Have a very Happy Monday!!!


Photobucket

14 comments:

LV said...

Becky, you just about blew my mind with all those lovely shots of the toureens. I know that was a sight to behold. I love your part of the world, and want to someday come that way. I enjoy seeing all the Amish work wherever it is. Also, so happy to have you visit me. You are always welcomed.

Gee said...

Hi Becky.

Those are lovely and unique tureens. I havent seen that before. Thanks for sharing it with us.

SmilingSally said...

Those tureens--especially the blue and white ones--are M M good! Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Interesting!

Knitty said...

What an interesting exhibit and post! I have seen catalogs with the name Winterthur in them, but did not know the pronunciation.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an incredible collection. I must see the museum if ever we are in the area. Have a wonderful day.

JD/ Jill said...

Becky, I have been there, and until reading your post.... I had forgotten about seeing the soup tureens. Even though I have been there (one time) I still can't pronounce the name of the place correctly...smile. I guess I need to practice. I would love to be able to get back there again, It's been a few years, and it's well worth another visit.

Vee said...

It must be a tureen lover's heaven. I lust for a tureen, a traditional one, but those other styles were great fun to see there at Winterthur, which sounds as if it should be the title of a great romance.

Joyce said...

I have not been there in years so thanks for sharing the soup tureens. The boars head one is so funny to look at:)
Joyce

CailinMarie said...

what a neat exhibit! I love that Campbell's has a collection of soup tureens! Isn't that just cool? Some of them are so "out there"!

ellen b. said...

Hi Becky! Wow...what a wonderful collection of Soup Tureens and how appropriate that the Campbell family has this collection!!

~~Deby said...

Those are so unique...I would like one..which one did you buy (LOL)...
it will be soup season, before we know it...

Regina said...

Very pretty. Great shots and post.

Lisa Pogue said...

Who would've ever thought there could be so many different kinds. I'll pay more attention from now on...