Thursday, July 31, 2014

Saying Good-bye to a Very Special Boy

My dear friends,

When I started this day I had no idea, not even a hint of what was to come.  But shortly before lunch our friend Joe called to tell me that their son had drowned and that his wife, Susanna needed a friend.
In spite of my shock I made a couple of calls, quickly curled my hair just enough to get it out of my eyes...but definitely not enough to look good.  Somehow I decided that it didn't matter.  My friend was in pain.....agony really.  Off I went.

I will not go into the details of the day.  They were excruciating.  However, I will say that God was in it. You probably know Joe and Susanna from my occasional references to them and Susanna's blog.  The son who was lost today was Tommy.  Precious Tommy.  The boy who had not known love until God brought Susanna to his orphanage.  She loved him on sight and was so blessed when God chose them to adopt him.

They brought him home.  It didn't go smoothly. Tommy was sick much of the time.  And yet Joe and Susanna loved him more.  And more.  They did everything in their power to find solutions for his intestinal difficulties.  At last solutions were working.  He was growing again.  Tommy was happy.

He was so close to his little brother, Stephen.  You can see some photos here on the guest post I wrote today to let Susanna's blog readers know of this horrible accident.

If you don't mind, we would love your prayers.  Prayers that those who are tempted to blame themselves would find peace in the love and forgiveness of Jesus.  Prayers for the siblings who will grieve this loss deeply.  Prayers that God would use this for His glory.  Give thanks with us that this life will now be celebrated and missed rather than slipping away quietly with no one to care in an adult house in his birth country.


In my mind Tommy will always be this smiling happy boy who knew no enemies.  He is a reminder to all of us that life is precious...no matter how you come to it.  No matter how much people expect you to be able to give to society.  Oh yes...Tommy made a difference in this world.  Just ask anyone who met him or has read about him.  Just ask the families who are now a child or two bigger because they were impacted by his story.
Just ask Jesus....who loved him so much that He sent a quiet family from Lancaster County to Eastern Europe to bring him home and love him.  Tommy's life counted!!  Big time.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Horribly sad, Becky. Praying for the family as they suffer this loss. That little face is so sweet and I know many were blessed just knowing him for the short time he was here.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry, Becky. I will pray for this family and all affected by the tragic loss of this little boy.

bananaorangeapple said...

Very sad news. I Know they loved him very much and made him happy.

Vee said...

Oh how tragic... I am certainly praying for the family and for the extended church family. Such a sorrow and yet Tommy is completely happy, whole, and well today. Praying comfort for you all...

Terri Steffes said...

Praying prayers of comfort for this family. Prayers for the friends who need the right words to say. God bless you all.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

My heart breaks for this precious family. Praying for comfort and peace and that they are surrounded by the love of God. Blessings to you Becky for love shown in His Name.

Jan said...

I don't know the family, but my heart breaks for them. I will be lifting them up in prayer.

sammysgrammy said...

The Lord entrusted the care of Tommy to Susanna and Joe for a while. I am certain that their time with him was an enriching experience that they don't know the bounds of yet. Now he's with Jesus. No more tummy problems or problems of any sort. He'll grow up under the care of heaven's mommies and daddies and they'll all have a happy reunion one day.

Karen said...

Praying for all those who loved Tommy, especially his family, but also the friends, like you, who will miss him in your lives.

I'm so sorry!

Terra said...

I am praying for comfort and strength for all of Tommy's family and friends.